Knee Replacement – Causes, Symptoms, Treatment and Prevention
Overview of Knee Replacement
Knee replacement, also known as knee arthroplasty, is a surgical procedure to replace the weight-bearing surfaces of the knee joint to relieve pain and disability. It is most commonly performed for osteoarthritis, and also for other knee diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis. In patients with severe deformity from advanced rheumatoid arthritis, trauma, or long-standing meniscus tear, the surgery may be more complex.
Knee replacement surgery can be performed as a partial or a total knee replacement. In general, the procedure involves removing the damaged surfaces of the knee joint and replacing them with artificial materials (prostheses).
Get Knee Replacement treatment cost estimate
Facts on Knee Replacement
Facts of Knee Replacement are:
- Patients with severe knee joint damage that is associated with chronic pain and reduced capability might be excellent candidates for total knee replacement surgery.
- The most frequent reason for knee replacement surgery in the United States is osteoarthritis.
- Risks of total knee replacement surgery have been studied.
- After a total knee replacement, physical treatment is an important aspect of recovery.
- Antibiotics are advised ahead of, during, and after any invasive operation (including dental work) for people with synthetic joints.
Types of Knee Replacement Sugeries
Total knee replacement:
Your surgeon replaces the thigh bone’s and shin bone’s connecting surfaces.
Partial knee replacement:
This surgery may be a choice for individuals with arthritis on only one side of the knee.
Used on kneecap’s under-surface and groove. Assists those who suffer from persistent knee arthritis.
Complex knee replacement:
Used with extremely severe arthritis or have already had 2-3 replacement procedures.
Cartilage restoration technique:
When knee has low area of damage or wear, cells that develop into cartilage are replaced.
Risks & Signs of Infection of Knee Replacement
Risks from knee replacement surgery include:
- Blood clots in the leg vein or lungs
- Heart attack
- Nerve damage
Notify your doctor immediately if you notice:
- Fever greater than 100 F (37.8 C)
- Shaking chills
- Drainage from the surgical site
- Increasing redness or tenderness in the knee
- Increasing swelling or pain in the knee
Recovery at Home after Knee Replacement
You will have surgical wounds or a suture beneath your skin on the front of your knee. The sutures or staples will be removed after a few weeks. A suture beneath your skin will not be necessary to remove.It is not advised to soak the injury in water until it has completely healed and dried. To avoid skin irritation from clothing or support stockings, you may continue to bandage the wound.
For weeks after surgery, some people experience a loss of appetite. It’s critical to eat healthily and regularly in order to aid the healing of your wound and restore muscle strength after surgery.
Exercise is an important part of home care, particularly during the first few weeks after surgery. Within 3 to 6 weeks following surgery, you should be able to resume most daily activities. For several weeks after surgery, activity may cause discomfort and at night.Your activity program should include:
- To gradually enhance your mobility, start with small steps at home and later out in the world.
- Resuming typical chores at home, such as sitting, standing, or ascending staircases
- To recover mobility and strengthen your knee, perform the following exercises several times a day. You should be able to do the activities on your own, but you may want the assistance of a physical therapist at home or in a therapy center for the first few weeks after surgery.
Our clinics are accessible from these cities
Clinics Across India
Our Clinical Footprint
We provide easy storage and access to information from Mantra Care technology. Here, patients can easily acquire notes from virtual doctor consultation, treatment plans, prescriptions, and more from one place. Get medical information 24/7 from any digital device.
Mantra Care aims at creating a much more efficient experience for the patients through their cost-effective and quality-driven medical treatments.
We provide relatively lower cost treatments for almost every health problem making our company the best choice for patients. Mantra Care technology automates all the manual tasks for members and doctors, making it a viable choice for acquiring lower-cost treatments.